I created a free resource library to help you advance your nutrition & fitness, lose weight, decrease stress, maximize your motivation, feel fabulous, & much more!
This gluten-free, grain-free flax crackers recipe is one of the SIMPLEST things you’ll ever make. Yes, it takes some time — but the actual preparation (aka your precious time) is very minimal! Not to mention, making your own flax crackers is a big money-saver compared to buying them from the store.
That being said, I totally understand that there are times when you just don’t feel like makin’ anything — am I right? If you’re wanting the convenience of store-bought flax crackers (that are still super healthy & don’t have any harmful ingredients in them), there ARE a few choices you can find in certain stores or online. Here’s one of my favorite brands!
As far as these homemade flax crackers go, they are an amazing alternative to unhealthy crackers & chips. They give you that satisfying crunch you’re looking for in a cracker, plus they’re filled with healthy fats — like omega 3’s — which are awesome for your brain, your heart, & healthy inflammation levels. Yay! 🤗
These babies are the perfect companion to your favorite dips, spreads, & cracker toppings! I especially love them with fresh guacamole, garlicky hummus, coconut oil, or my personal favorite — topped with a slice of Beyond Organic cheese, a ripe avocado slice, & a dash of Frank’s Red Hot, salt, & pepper. Yummy!!
These flax crackers can also be modified to include any seasonings or spices you want. Add lots of garlic powder if you’re a garlic-lover (like I am!), or try adding some oregano, basil, rosemary, & thyme for Italian-spiced crackers.
My husband & I have even tried a sweet take on these flax crackers before — putting some cinnamon, raw cacao powder, & stevia in them to make a “dessert” cracker. (We paired those with cream cheese frosting, which was absolutely divine!)
Click below to download your free recipe card, & let your culinary creativity run wild with these crackers! 🙃
- 1 cup organic whole flax seeds
- Sea salt to taste
- Any other spices you’d like
- Filtered water (enough to cover the flax seeds)
- Parchment Paper
- Put flax seeds into a bowl & cover them with filtered water.
- Stir the flax seeds & water, & let them sit until they soak up the water (forming a gelatinous texture). **Ideally, let them soak for several hours or overnight, because this will sprout the flax seeds, making them more digestible & removing the naturally-occurring anti-nutrient compounds. BUT, if you’re pressed for time, you could just soak them for a little while until all water is soaked up.**
- Add sea salt to taste, as well as any other spices you’d like, & mix it into the flax/water mixture.
- Put a piece of parchment paper over a dehydrator sheet (or over a baking sheet if using an oven).
- Spread the flax mixture across the parchment paper, about 1/8 inch thick.
- Ideally, dehydrate the flax crackers overnight (or until crispy), at 120 degrees or less.*
*A Note About Dehydrators: Homemade flax crackers are ideally made in a dehydrator — which allows you to keep the temperature super low (keeping the flax crackers raw & maintaining all the nutrients). Using a dehydrator also frees up your oven & saves energy (rather than having your oven on & in use for hours & hours at a time).
If you don’t have a dehydrator yet, I’d highly recommend getting one! Not only can you make flax crackers, but also veggie chips (like kale, zucchini, & apple chips), sprouted nuts & seeds, homemade jerky, & more — all while maintaining the highest amount of nutrients in the food. ☺️
However, if you don’t have a dehydrator & aren’t ready to invest in one yet, you can still make these homemade flax crackers in your oven on the lowest heat setting possible.
It may be a good idea to leave the oven door cracked to bring the temperature down even more, since ovens won’t get as low as a dehydrator. This means the crackers won’t be completely raw (unlike in a dehydrator) & they may lose some of the nutrients due to cooking them, but they’ll still be a healthy option for you!
For more delicious, gluten-free snack ideas, check out 12 Easy, Yummy, & Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss & Wellness!
Looking for more healthy eating tips? Find out How To Healthify Your Favorite Foods & Recipes (& Still Make Them Taste Delicious)!
And before you go, I’d love to know:
What are YOUR favorite cracker flavors, spices, & toppings?? Lemme hear ‘em below!
Join The Community!
Get weekly wellness support & receive instant access to Dr. Christi’s free resource library to achieve a life of health, bliss, & wholeness!
Count me in!